Saturday, October 25, 2014

Life's 'Teachable Moments' Also Offer Lessons For Grownups

We adults can learn just as much as children from life's "teachable moments." That may sound cutesy and corny, but it's true, as illustrated by a recent incident with a child in my family.

 
Last Saturday, my family and I got together at a restaurant to celebrate my brother's birthday. At one point, my adorable 6-year-old nephew uttered something totally incomprehensible. In response, I quipped, "Was that English?" No one laughed, and in retrospect, I understand why.

At the time, I thought my little joke was just good-natured teasing between an uncle and a nephew. After all, like many kids who are generally well-behaved, my nephew can be precocious and have a smart mouth at times.

Earlier, he had said something very sarcastic to my sister when she and my mom were discussing some grownup topic: "Why are you in everybody's business?" When my sister chastised my nephew for being disrespectful, he sassed back, "I wasn't even talking to you."

Obviously, my "adorable little nephew" can hold his own with adults.

But a few days later when I reflected on the family get-together, I began to feel bad that maybe I had hurt his feelings by mocking his speech. I certainly meant no harm and was just trying to have a little lighthearted  fun, but as a writer, I'm well-aware that words can have a profound impact. Especially on children.

What's ironic about this whole incident is that my nephew is a lot like me. Not only do we look a lot alike, we were born in the same month (August). And I had a speech impediment at his age. 

I can recall how it hurt my feelings when adults would harshly correct my speech: "It's that, not dat," they'd scold in an impatient tone. 

As a kid, I sometimes had trouble
communicating with adults.
 
I went to speech therapy with a very nice and pretty vocal instructor named Miss Cherry, got braces, outgrew my buck teeth, and overcame my speech impediment. Not only did I learn to speak well, I've actually done voice-over work.

Little kids do learn to cope. If someone makes fun of them, they grow up and get over it like I did.

But we adults should be careful about what we say around and to children, because we do have the ability to make a lasting impression - both good and bad.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment