Saturday, October 18, 2014

Are Cellphones Replacing Face-to-Face Conversations?

Are cellphones replacing face-to-face interaction? An incident at a restaurant yesterday illustrates the state of our modern world and how technology, in many ways, seems to be taking over.

I met a good friend whom I hadn't seen in a while for lunch. While we caught up, the waitress and manager interrupted our conversation several times to check on our order.



Halfway through the meal, my friend had to take a quick call on her cellphone, which was not a problem with me. But this is when I became slightly irritated: when the manager approached our table again, he started talking to us, and upon noticing that my friend was on her cellphone, he stopped short and said, "Oh, I'll come back," and walked away.

I must say that being interrupted mid-sentence is one of my pet peeves, and this happens quite frequently at restaurants when well-meaning restaurant staff who are just trying to do their jobs approach my table. They very rarely say, "Excuse me," and instead just start talking without regard for if they're interrupting what might be an important and/or sensitive conversation.  

Apparently, interrupting people who are speaking face to face is perfectly fine. But interrupting a phone call is a no-no.

So maybe I should start putting a phone to my ear so that I won't be interrupted from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment