Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Attenion English Majors: Creative Writing Skills Translate To The 'Real' World

Are you like me, an English major for whom creative writing is your first love? I've found that with hard work, you can translate your creative-writing skills to the world of journalism and nonfiction. 

For the past several years, I've been working on a documentary titled "Lady Wrestler" that chronicles the little-known story of courageous African-American women who traveled the world as professional wrestlers in the '50s and '60s before many of the gains of the civil rights and feminist movements. 


In making the documentary "Lady Wrestler,"
I called on creative writing skills.
 
And for the past year, I've been helping businessman Raymond Lambert write his autobiography, which will chronicle his rise from a working-class upbringing in Wilmington, Del., to owning one of the nation's most successful comedy clubs - the legendary All Jokes Aside in Chicago.

As a kid, I dreamed about being an author and filmmaker who cranked out best-selling novels and hit movies. But since graduating from Ohio State with a bachelor's degree in English in '98, I've earned a living working at newspapers.  

However, I've  continued to pursue my passion for creative writing. I published a novel, "The Chloe Chronicles," and a play, "The Springtime of Our Lives." 

In telling the story of the lady wrestlers and helping Raymond to write his autobiography, my journalism skills have come into play: interviewing, researching, organizing notes, etc. But I've also called on my creative writing "genes" to get the job done.

Telling a good story, whether fictional or based on true events, is all about weaving a narrative that will engage your audience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment