Thursday, August 1, 2013

Visiting Artist Experience At Wexner - Day Three




I spent the third day (Wednesday, July 31) of my visiting-artist residency at the Wexner Center editing narration that I'd recorded the previous day. The narration will be used in the documentary I'm working on, Lady Wrestler: The Amazing, Untold Story of African-American Women in the Ring.

While working on the narration yesterday, I edited the sound file in the Final Cut video-editing software on my laptop so that it can be transferred to the Wexner's more robust Avid editing system.

Editing the narration was a painstaking process, requiring me to go through each and every take of 17 pages of "dialogue" that I wrote and recorded. I'm going to have to re-record a few lines where my diction was sloppy, or I didn't place the emphasis on the right word.

Since the documentary is just under 90 minutes long, dropping in the new narration under each scene took several hours. I ended up working well into the night, leaving the Wexner facility at around 1 a.m.  Rather than exhausted, I felt energized, since this is work I'm passionate about and have wanted to do all my life.

Maybe it was the environment. Being at the Wexner Center, where creativity thrives, is like being inside the Dream Factory.

Plus, I know that "real" filmmakers (i.e., the ones that don't have to work a day job) have to power through when trying to complete a project. Cast and crew work ridiculously long hours even on the most well-organized movie sets and TV shows.

A highlight of the day yesterday was a lunch break in which I strolled around campus and ate lunch in the Oval outside Bricker Hall, which I used to do back in the '90s when I took English classes there. It was a nice walk down memory lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment