Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Visiting Artist Experience At Wexner - Day Two


I spent much of the second day of my visiting-artist residency at the Wexner Center (Tuesday, July 30) as a "microphone fiend," to quote the lyrics of the classic hip-hop track by Eric B. and Rakim.

I spent a couple of hours in the Wexner's sound booth re-recording narration for the documentary I'm putting the finishing touches on, Lady Wrestler: The Amazing, Untold Story of African-American Women in the Ring.  

I've always been a huge music fan, so it was kind of cool getting to "rock the mic" - although I couldn't sing my way out of a paper bag! 

Recording the narration is an interesting experience, especially since I've always had a love/hate relationship with my voice. Sometimes I wish my voice weren't so deep and distinctive, but I guess the upshot is I can use it for projects like this. 

Sometimes it pays to sound like a two-pack-a-day smoker, even though I've never smoked a cigarette...

No comments:

Post a Comment