Monday, January 14, 2013

Creativity and 'Hater-Aid- Don't Mix



Earlier today, my mom and I were discussing last night’s Golden Globes telecast and she asked me, “What did you think of Argo beating out Zero Dark Thirty?”

“I haven’t seen either one,” I replied, “so I don’t really have an opinion.”

“I think they gave it to Argo because it’s Ben Affleck,” she said.

I knew exactly what Mom meant: Argo is being showered with critical praise and award nominations because Ben Affleck is a Hollywood golden boy. Why should he get all that attention? Aren’t there people who are just as deserving - or more so?

The conversation with my mom could have easily turned into a celebrity-bashing gripe-fest. But I chose to redirect the conversation to a more general discussion about the Golden Globes show -- who won, Jody Foster’s “coming out” speech, how Tina Fey and Amy Poehler rated as hosts compared to Ricky Gervais, and so on.

I can’t claim that I always take the high road, however. I’m sometimes guilty of “hating on” the rich and famous who seem like they have it all, don’t have to struggle for anything and are lavished with an overabundance of adulation.

I do, however, recognize the folly of this way of thinking. Drinking “hater-aid” is especially hazardous for people like myself who strive to be successful at writing books, directing movies, bringing plays to the stage and excelling in other forms of creativity.

Why is bashing the rich and famous, or any successful person, for that matter, counterproductive?

Because creativity thrives on positive energy. It’s nearly impossible, in my opinion, to produce quality work in a creative endeavor – art, music, literature, film, theatre, etc. – while being consumed with envy, bitterness and any kind of negativity that drains rather than fuels energy and creativity.  

Furthermore, bashing someone that you see as having more than you presupposes that you’re inferior to them and don’t possess the same ability to succeed.

And, of course, it’s up to each of us to come up with our own definition of success. There are very talented actors, directors and writers who put out quality work but will never become household names or have a golden statuette handed to them before an international television audience. 



No comments:

Post a Comment