Saturday, January 12, 2013

An Unlikely Coincidence



I was recently standing in line at the movies and was browsing through the songs on my Walkman (it's an MP3 player with the "Walkman" brand name, not a portable cassette player, although I do have one of those that I still listen to). 

One of my favorite groups of all time is Ambrosia, a light rock supergroup that was popular in the '70s and early '80s. I listen to their music a lot and was about to put on their greatest hits while I waited in line. But while I was scrolling through the albums on my Walkman, I decided I should mix it up for a change and put on something I rarely listen to.

On a whim, I pulled up rap group Cypress Hill's greatest hits and randomly picked the song "The Only Way." I had never listened to this song before and, just by chance, it has a sample of Ambrosia's "LIfe Beyond L.A.." Ambrosia's dramatic ballad has the haunting refrain, "Sometimes I think that the only way that I'll ever see life beyond L.A. is dying," which is the hook Cypress Hill uses in "The Only Way."

An unlikely collaboration, for sure, and one of those interesting little coincidences in life...

No comments:

Post a Comment