Thursday, June 23, 2016

My Columbus Homecoming Was No 'Joke'

Me and Fort Hayes Principal Dr. Milton Ruffin on the
Ohio Theatre stage as the Fort Hayes graduation
concluded on June 4 (Photo By Terry Anderson).
Being recognized as an alumnus at Fort Hayes Metropolitan Education Center's graduation ceremony on June 4 at the Ohio Theatre in my hometown of Columbus was the culmination of a busy month of activities related to the new book "All Jokes Aside: Comedy Is a Phunny Business."

The book, which I co-wrote with Raymond Lambert, tells Raymond's story, from humble beginnings as the son of teenage parents,  to working in high finance for Chris Gardner (whose life was the subject of the blockbuster movie "The Pursuit of Happyness" starring Will Smith), to opening the legendary Chicago comedy club All Jokes Aside.

I have to give a huge shout-out to Raymond's Morehouse classmate, Eficioando President and CEO Eric J. Troy, who organized the "All Jokes Aside" promotional events in my hometown. 

In just over a month, Eric pulled together of an amazing series of events, including author talks and book signings at the Funny Bone comedy club and the Barnes and Noble bookstore at the Easton Town Center. He also arranged great press coverage - one of the most effective ways to boost book sales. I'll be forever indebted to Eric - he did everything but hire a pilot to write my name in the sky!
 

The events began on May 10 with a pizza lunch at the Funny Bone with a group of about 20 students from Mifflin High School. Mifflin is in close proximity to the Easton Town Center, where the Funny Bone is located. The Mifflin students asked insightful questions about writing and life, in general.

Me (crouching, center) with Mifflin High School students at the Funny Bone.
Also pictured: Steiner Director of Community Affairs Ben Tyson (crouching, left)
and Eficionado President and CEO Eric J. Troy.
The evening of May 10 was our big debut at the Funny Bone. Emmy-winning WBNS-10TV anchor Jerry Revish led a question-and-answer session with Raymond and I.


Dr. August Parker III, left, Eric J. Troy, me, Raymond Lambert,
Greater Columbus Arts Council CEO Tom Katzmeyer,
WBNS-10TV anchor Jerry Revish and Matt Habash, president
of the Mid-Ohio Foodbank and former Columbus City Councilman. (Photo By Shellee Fisher) 

Before the Q & A, the evening kicked off with remarks by Dr. Augustus Parker III, who sponsored the event with Eficionado; Gahanna Mayor Tom Kneeland; and Greater Columbus Arts Council President Tom Katzenmeyer. Columbus City Councilman Shannon Hardin presented Raymond and I with resolutions recognizing our contributions - glad my mom and dad were there to see that!


Eficionado President and CEO Eric J. Troy, left, me holding
the Columbus City Council resolution and Columbus City
Councilman Shannon Hardin. (Photo By Shellee Fisher)
The next day, on May 11, Raymond and I spoke to students at my alma mater, Fort Hayes Metropolitan Education Center. Once again, we spoke to a group of about 20 students who have expressed an interest in creative writing. And, once more, I was bowled over by the students' insightful questions and willingness to open up and engage in a dialogue.
One of the many highlights of the Fort Hayes visit was being recognized as an alumnus by Columbus City Schools Superintendent Dr. Dan Good and Fort Hayes Principal Milton Ruffin.


Raymond and I (center, standing) with the Fort Hayes students.


That evening, the "All Jokes" events culminated with the Barnes and Noble Easton Town Center appearance. Raymond and I discussed the book with an intimate group of family, friends and a few bookstore patrons who gathered to hear us talk and have their books signed. Being featured at a major bookstore like Barnes and Noble was a dream come true.
Raymond and I at our author talk at the  Barnes and
Noble bookstore at the Easton Town Center
.

One really cool thing that happened was that after I posted my photo next to the Barnes and Noble poster on social  media and commented that it was cool sharing a bookstore poster with best-selling author David Baldacci, Mr. Baldacci was kind enough to return the favor! As it turns out, Baldacci, like Raymond, is an alumnus of the University of Virginia. Small world!
Best-selling author David Baldacci tweeted
a photo of him standing next to the poster
featuring me and co-author Raymond Lambert.
On May 27, I returned to Fort Hayes to speak to another group of students who missed the May 11 session. A week later, I joined the members of the Class of 2016 for graduation, placing cords around the graduates' necks as they walked across the stage of the Ohio Theatre. 

I was impressed by the wide array of talent that the Fort Hayes students showcased at the graduation. The ceremony included music and dance performances. In addition to displaying world-class talent, these young people are gifted at expressing themselves in front of an audience - much more so than I was at their age!

I was born and raised in Columbus, and I've always appreciated my hometown as a place where the arts flourish.






No comments:

Post a Comment