Thursday, June 2, 2016

Come To Paisha's Place

I'm so proud of my friend and "dream-releasing buddy" Paisha Thomas. She just released her debut CD, "Paisha," and will be performing selections from the album during the  "Cover Me Session Two: Come Together" concert on Friday, June 3, at 7 p.m. at 300 E. Long St. in my hometown of Columbus, Ohio.
 
Paisha helped me realize a dream I've had since I became a music fan as a preteen: having my name listed in the liner notes of an album. I'm credited as a co-writer of the song "Love Don't Stand a Chance (Big Mama's Song)" on Paisha's album - a true honor.  

Paisha played the leading role of "Big Mama" in "The Springtime of Our Lives," a play I wrote, produced and directed in 2013.

There's a scene in which Big Mama, her granddaughter Myra (played by the phenomenally talented Sufiy James) and teenage granddaughter-in-law Denise (played by Paisha's amazingly talented daughter, Christian Cooper) clean house while Big Mama belts out a gospel-flavored number. When I was writing the scene, I envisioned The Pointer Sisters' "Neutron Dance" - venting frustration about all the chaos going in the world.


Me (center, front row) and Paisha Thomas (center, back row) with
"The Springtime of Our Lives" cast, clockwise from left: Nancy Niki Penn,
Helen Price-Outlaw, Sufiy James, Keith "Speak" Williams,
Christian Cooper, Jerry Weekly and David Holland.
I jotted down a few lyrics, including a phrase that kept rattling around in my head for some odd reason: "They keep raising the price of stamps." I gave the lyrics to Paisha and Brian Szuch, who co-produced Paisha's album and played in the "Springtime" band when we put on shows in Columbus in October 2013 and March 2014 and Cleveland in June 2014. 

I was amazed when, in a very short amount of time, Paisha and Brian took my scribblings and fleshed them out into a full-length song that really captures Big Mama's world-weary mood yet steadfast faith that God will work everything out.



"Love Don't Stand a Chance (Big Mama's Song)" is just one of the gems on Paisha's album. I love all of the 13 tracks, and here's a look at a few of the highlights:

"Courage" is an upbeat song about exercising the inner strength to leave a situation that's holding you back and realize your full potential. I heard an early version of this song that Paisha recorded a few years ago during one of her band rehearsals, and it's always been one of my favorites. 

"Water Wash" is a moving ballad about the strength of the human spirit to survive unimaginable hardships. The song was inspired by Lupita Nyong'o's Oscar-winning performance in "12 Years a Slave," which Paisha and I saw together.

"Seventeen Suns" is a mellow tune that reminds me of strolling along in the park, enjoying the sunshine and the beauty of nature. 

"Inside Out" is a powerful exploration about all the good things that can result when you have the fortitude to take a look inside and discover your true self and go after what you really want in life.

Each of the songs showcases Paisha's rich, soulful voice. Her music is a unique fusion of R&B, rock, folk and her gospel roots. Like another of my favorite artists - the late, great Prince - Paisha Thomas is an artist who defies categorization in the best way possible.

Paisha will be selling the album at the "Cover Me Session Two: Come Together" concert on June 3. The show will feature Paisha and a variety of awesome Columbus singers and musicians raising money for art and music education for public school students. For tickets and more information, visit Eventbrite by clicking this link








No comments:

Post a Comment