Sunday, July 1, 2012

Don't Hate The Player - Hate The Game





I was in Miami (Florida) last weekend visiting good friends who are like family. It rained the whole time I was down there and I just missed the tropical storm that was brewing in the Gulf on my way back to Ohio, but caught the aftermath in Columbus with the storms that hit on Friday and Sunday.

While I was in Miami,  the topic of the Heat’s recent big win and LeBron James’ MVP trophy came up.  My friends used to live in Columbus while attending Ohio State, and we agree that the overwhelmingly negative reaction to LeBron’s leaving the Cavs and moving to the Heat was over the top.

Being a native Ohioan, I understand people’s anger over the way he made the announcement. But I don’t understand why people were so upset that he chose to leave. I mean, everyone deserves an opportunity to branch out and grow – especially a young man in the prime of his career.

I thought it was lame that some people were acting like Cleveland’s entire economy was based on one man. Admittedly, I don’t follow the NBA closely, but I know that LeBron was a big draw and a big boost to the Cavs and Cleveland in general and that his departure left a void. But nobody should feel like an indentured servant – that they owe their whole lives to a team, a corporation or a city.

Instead of writing a public nasty letter to "King LeBron," Cavs owner Dan Gilbert should have said something to the effect of, "Ohio breeds world-class talent. We thank LeBron for his years of service, for all he's done for the team and for the city and state and we wish him the best." Isn't it better to maintain goodwill than burn the bridge and potentially turn such a talented individual into an enemy?

As my friends pointed out, NBA owners trade players all the time without any regard to the inconvenience and sacrifices that the players will have to make in relocating their families, etc. If LeBron had not been performing at his peak and the Cavs had chosen to trade him, would anybody have been crying for him?

Like show business, professional sports is a cutthroat business where you have a very narrow window to make your mark. Don’t hate the player, hate the game.


No comments:

Post a Comment