Thursday, March 22, 2012

An Unexpected 'We Are the World' Experience

I was recently up north in the Worthington/Delaware area - not exactly a hotbed of diversity.

Craving pancakes and wielding a gift certificate I got for Christmas, I decided to stop into the Bob Evans at 270 and North High. Despite my rumbling stomach, I got second thoughts as I pulled into the parking lot. I thought maybe I ought to go to a restaurant closer to where I live on the east side, where there are more people who "look like me."

But my hunger won out and when I went in, I was pleasantly surprised to find that this Bob Evans was, in fact, a hotbed of diversity - at least it was on this particular sunny Saturday. Much of the wait staff and many of the patrons were either African American or Hispanic. In fact, a couple of the waiters were chatting in Spanish to a Hispanic family sitting at the counter.

A multicultural, "We Are the World" experience at Bob Evans - who woulda guessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment